Before this trip down memory lane, I didn’t realize just how much of my childhood memories included Purefoods!
Purefoods is a brand I always think of fondly because it was our corned beef while growing up. One of my favorite childhood dishes is a simple corned beef and macaroni affair – my dad would just saute a can of Purefoods Corned Beef with some onions, and mix in some hot, cooked macaroni, and then season it with salt & pepper and that was it! Yum, yum, yum!
I will always remember him making that dish for us on Sunday dinner.
If other people had mac and cheese, that was my mac and corned beef.
I was recently invited to participate in a Purefoods event called #IHeartArt and #IHeartPurefoods at Sip & Gogh in Kapitolyo.
It was an awesome event where we got to exercise our creative talents. At first, I thought we were going to be asked to paint a design of our own creation, and we were all like, oh no! They’re gonna give us an F! (Because we freely admit that we’re not that artistic, lol)
Look at these beautiful paintings on display. How can anything I paint even compare?
I even considered painting this Purefoods I Heart Art can, Andy Warhol style. Haha.
Notice the Purefoods products beside the paintings. I didn’t even know that Purefoods Corned Beef had a Chili Garlic flavor since we always get the regular Purefoods Corned Beef.
When it was time to finally start painting, I was excited to finally find out if I had any talent in this area. This is the painting that we will be following along with, with our instructor giving us an introduction on what to do:
While working on our painting, snacks made from Purefoods Blue Line were being served. Oh, look! It’s a corned beef potato cake! Another favorite from childhood that we still cook today. Cooked potatoes and Purefoods Corned Beef just go so well together. In our house, what we do is mix some mashed boiled potatoes with a whole can of Purefoods Corned Beef, add some onions, season with salt & pepper and fry them up like thin, lacy burgers that are crispy on the edges.
We always use Purefoods Corned Beef because it’s the only brand that makes it taste right.
The version that was served to us was light and cake-y (like a cake), and healthier because it’s baked, not fried. Interested in the recipe? It’s available below.
Here are some Chorizo cups using Purefoods Chorizo Bilbao:
When we think of Purefoods, the first thing that usually comes to anyone’s mind is Purefoods Corned Beef. But did you know that they also have Luncheon Meat? Served here with a chunk of toasted pineapple, it’s actually very nice, like a Hawaiian ham cocktail. Such an easy, quick, and delicious cocktail for guests, especially for unexpected visits!
I also liked the Cheesy Vienna Dumplings, and the Luncheon Meat Chili Cheese Spring Rolls. Interested in the recipes? I’m sharing some below. Purefoods Blue Line products are just easier to work with, especially when you’re in a hurry and don’t have time to thaw frozen meats. All you have to do is open a can and use easy ingredients you already have around the house to create a family meal. It doesn’t have to always be just plain, sauteed corned beef. I also like the combination of Purefoods Corned Beef with canned kernel corn. It’s delicious!
Art was not particularly emphasized when I was growing up, so I was happy to have this chance to dabble in painting. It was actually quite fun, and easy, and I find that I am starting to develop an interest in it.
We only worked with 3 colors – white, blue and black. But in the end, I wanted to add flowers so I asked for other colors. My palette:
My final work:
Not bad for a first time painter, right? At least my family thinks it looks nice.
I wanted to do a vermilion sunset but should have added the pink, orange and purple colors at the beginning. Nevertheless, I am thankful to have this chance to try my hand at it.
But the fun didn’t end there!
SURPRISE VISIT FROM HEART!
We got a surprise visit from the beautiful Heart Evangelista-Escudero, the product endorser for Purefoods. Now, we got why the hashtags were all hinting Heart, Heart, Heart!
She even helped one of us finish a detail on our painting:
This was my first time to meet Heart, and I found her very nice, gracious and accommodating. She patiently took pictures with everyone and gamely answered questions. She also thanked people individually after they met with her.
Now, as promised, some recipes using Purefoods Blue Line products:
CORNED BEEF POTATO CAKES
1 can Purefoods Corned Beef 210g
1/2 kg potatoes
1 tsp iodized salt
1 tbsp Magnolia Gold Butter unsalted (melted and for pan-frying)
1 pc Magnolia brown egg (egg yolk only)
1 pinch Nutmeg
1/4 cup Magnolia All-Purpose Flour
- Boil potatoes until tender. Peel off skin then mash. Add salt, butter, egg yolk, nutmeg and flour.
- Add Purefoods Corned Beef and mix to distribute evenly. Form mixture into cylinders and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
- Cut into 1-inch thick rounds, making sure each is equally shaped. Refrigerate for another 15 minutes then pan-fry in butter. Cook over moderate heat until golden brown.
CHEESY VIENNA DUMPLINGS
2 cans Purefoods Vienna Sausage, 230g, chopped
2 cups Magnolia Cheddar Cheese, grated
1/4 cup Chopped onions
1/2 cup Chopped green bell pepper
2 pcs Magnolia brown eggs
48 pcs Wonton wrappers
1 bottle Magnolia Nutri-Palm Oil
- Mix the chopped Purefoods Vienna Sausage, grated cheese, chopped onions, green bell pepper, and 1 egg.
- Place 1 tsp of the mixture in the center of each wonton wrapper.
- Brush sides of wrapper with reserved beaten egg and seal into triangles.
- Deep-fry wonton in hot oil until golden brown. Drain on paper towel. Serve immediately.
LUNCHEON MEAT CHILI CHEESE SPRING ROLLS
1 can Purefoods Luncheon Meat 230g
1 pack Magnolia Quickmelt Cheese, cut into strips
6 pcs Green chili (siling haba)
6 pcs Lumpia wrapper
2 cups Magnolia Nutri-Oil Palm
1 tbsp Garlic powder
2 tbsp Minced garlic
2 tbsp Chopped parsley
5 tbsp Magnolia Real Mayonnaise
- On a chopping board, cut green chili lengthwise keeping the stem intact. Scrape and discard the seeds.
- Stuff the empty green chili with the cheese and Purefoods Luncheon Meat.
- Wrap using lumpia wrapper to form spring rolls with stem protruding on one side.
- Deep-fry until golden brown. Drain excess oil on paper towel, cut in half. Serve with aioli sauce.
- Aioli Sauce: In a clean bowl, mix garlic powder, minced garlic, parsley, and mayonnaise together. Blend well. Transfer to a serving dish and serve with prepared spring rolls.
Purefoods Blue Line is the the line of Purefoods canned products that have the blue label. These are:
- Purefoods Corned Beef Classic
- Purefoods Corned Beef Chili Garlic
- Purefoods Corned Beef Hash
- Purefoods Luncheon Meat (PLM)
- Purefoods Vienna Sausage (PVS)
- Purefoods Chorizo Bilbao
- Purefoods Liver Spread
To keep abreast of what’s new with Purefoods, you may visit their Facebook page.
I hope you enjoyed this blog post. Please feel free to leave a comment below, I love hearing from you!